You raise a very good question, Patrick.  As a non-academic wildlife
ecologist, I have found that some scientific research helps me do a better
job of understanding ecological processes in a way that promotes good
decision-making.  I frequently find research papers and articles that
directly apply to this process in publications such as Ecological
Applications, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, Conservation in
Practice, and Journal of Wildlife Management.  The true "point" of this
scientific research is better decision-making for conserving, managing and
protecting species and the systems they depend on.

Granted, a lot of scientific research does not produce information that
seems to have any degree of applicability.  If, as author Chet Raymo writes,
knowledge is a finite island in a sea of infinite mystery, then it behooves
us to prioritize our research so we are not just tabulating the grains of
sand on the beach.  There are infinite ways we can do research to extend the
beaches of this knowledge island, most of which are of little utilitarian
value.   We need to extend the beaches of this island in directions that
provide useful answers.

In effect, you should be looking for service-oriented research
opportunities.  Engage in conversations with scientists and others engaged
in fish and wildlife conservation, ecosystem management, and resource policy
making.  Find out what they need to know in order to make their efforts more
effective. Then design and conduct research that provides answers that carry
out this service goal.

Warren W. Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
9403 SW 74th Ave