"Metabolize" is not the same as saying their bodies break down the chemicals with no negative effects. All is says is their bodies process the chemicals -- but the act of processing the chemicals or their breakdown products may very well have harmful effects either right away or at some point in the future.

I would ask Peterson to explain precisely what he means here.

Dave