Why limit it to systematics?
Universities are increasingly being less dominated by animal and plant
ecologists and zoologists/botanists and increasingly replaced by those
who study systems, processes, and big-picture events.  The problem is
that it is just as important to recognize the big picture and to
understand the system or process as it is to understand its biotic
components.  IF we are limit our understanding of diversity to a set
of mathematic equations, biochemical reactions, or complex networks of
interactions the organisms become inconsequential.  We haven't even
named a huge number of species, and for those that are named, we know
hardly anything of their life history.  If you think that taxonomy is
under-funded.....try taking a look at descriptive life history
studies, and yet the descriptive life history is the foundation for
modern conservation.

Malcolm