Wayne, this may be simplistic and not exactly what you're looking for:

Step 1. Assess current ecosystem situation/condition.

Step 2. Describe and agree on desired future/restored ecosystem condition.

Step 3. Define and agree on actions needed to reach desired condition.

Step 4. Take bold but safe-to-fail actions.

Step 5. Monitor and evaluate results from desired ecosystem condition
perspective.

Step 6. Modify actions and/or expectations in light of results.

Step 7. Continue with revised actions and monitoring.

Step 8. Celebrate success.

Defining desired ecosystem condition may be the most challenging step:

Do we want a pristine, zero human disturbance condition? E.g., a mature
mixed conifer-deciduous woodland cycled with infrequent wildfires and no
management of invasives.

Do we want a slightly human-controlled condition?  E.g., a mature mixed
conifer-deciduous woodland preserved through fire prevention and some
invasive management of invasives.

Do we want a slightly more human-managed condition? E.g., oak savannahs
maintained by periodic controlled burns, conifer removals and intensive
invasive species removals.

Warren W. Aney
Tigard, Oregon