It's an intermediate step. I need to control for elevation before
going on to further analysis. (My data comes from plots at varying
elevations in the Smoky Mountains.) The ultimate goal is to find
species' influences on each other's abundances, for which I'll
probably use Pearl's Inferred Causation algorithm. (I was originally
planning to just use multiple regression but have too many species and
not enough data points for that.)

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

Best,
Jane