Interesting discussion.
 would submit that
Thales is applicable to ecology (and to most any other other science)
Ditto with "384-322 BCE = "observation of physical phenomena could lead to
natural
laws governing them."

May I add LeChatelier's Principle in a broad sense - 'A system under stress
seeks to eliminate the stress' (OK one may need to define stress in applying
this to systems other than physical chemistry).

Some other 'foundations' of ecology relate to systems science - and dealing
with inexorably changing systems (entropy anyone?).  Yes change is inevitable
in ecology and is a constant (that is the 'change).  That is a tenent, as is
adaptaion.

Energy and mass transfer in ecosystems - trophic levels.  Recycling of
materials.
All of those appear to me as 'fundamentals' that govern ecological thinking.

The list could go on like this with ecology depending at times on other
sciences for some of its fundamental principles . yet that is no differnet
from numerous other sciences.

The F=ma may be absent but 'competitive exclusion', the rule that about the
occupation of niches as well as other fundamentals are as well established as
E=mc**2

Esat Atikkan