From: "Pekin, Burak K" <bpe...@purdue.edu>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Taxonomy and Ecology Integrating or Disintegrating?

David, I don’t understand your distinction between something that is 'real' in
nature versus something that is 'not actual, real, or concrete'. Whether
something is real or not depends on the context in which it is used.

A 'real' ecoregion, is real in that it represents a spatial area that is
homogenous in the composition of certain species or other ecosystem properties
of interest. Similiarly, a species is only 'real' in that it represents a group
of organisims that have similar genetics, reproductive attributes,  or
evolutionary lineage.

-Burak