A special thanks to David for Ecolog!

Martin, other respondents on- and off-list, and the Ecolog Forum:

This post is an example of what a great resource Ecolog is. The giving spirit of David, in setting up and maintaining the list, and that of contributors like Martin, provide an unrivaled entree into ecology that is open and available to anyone in the world with access to the Internet. All of us are students, of course, but knowing how taxed for time are so many professors and other active professionals, they have a special place in my heart and in the world because of the light they shine, even into somewhat neglected corners of the intellect, thus stimulating a broader and more intense understanding of how Nature works. I propose special recognition (hereby granted, however limited be my powers to do so) to all such contributors.

Martin's response is a special example of how human (intellectual, scholarly, academic) discourse can leap-frog over the mere reply or opinion and actually engage the issue without resort to personalizing in any form (an unfortunate Internet-wide form of merely self-indulgent clutter-not to diminish the special value of outraged cries in the wilderness which can serve to spark review of our prejudices).

If this is not the highest and best example of the highest and best use of Ecolog, I look forward to better ones. Thus can Ecolog serve as an example of one way of fostering a maturing of the Internet as a means of facilitating the synergistic potential of a Global Village of the mind-and, perhaps, of action, including restraint.

In special gratitude,

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Meiss" <mme...@gmail.com>