I am looking for a Ph D student interested in vegetation dynamics in prairie
remnants and prairie restorations. The Nature Conservancy has restored 1,500
acres of grassland and manages 2,000 acres of remnant prairies and uses
prescribed fire and grazing to increase habitat quality around Grand Island,
Nebraska. However, it is increasingly clear that environmental factors such
as soil composition and fertility, drought susceptibility, site history and
species pools significant influence the vegetation composition. For
instance, observationally, we see that remnant prairies are often dominated
by invasive grasses and are low in forb diversity. Even when subjected to
years of management to suppress invasive grasses and repeated over-seeding
attempts, forb diversity fails to increase. Conversely, cropland
restorations planted with 150-230 species successfully establish diverse
plant communities. However, these restorations are threatened by the same
invasive grass species and we see large variation among sites. There seems
to be environmental variability, presently unaccounted for, that is
hindering successful efforts to rehabilitate remnant prairies and restored
prairies.

We are currently examining how management (including fire and grazing), site
history and site environmental factors correlate with vegetation
composition, diversity, and the abundance of at-risk and invasive species.
For this we have set up 800 permanently marked plots that are annually
monitored for plant composition and abundance. In addition we have data of
site history, management, soil fertility, soil texture and will collect
productivity, nitrogen and water availability data in the next year. Based
on this we will analyze the factors that control diversity, and propose
hypotheses for management strategies that increase diversity, decrease the
prevalence of invasive species, and increase the abundance of at-risk
species.

As a next step, we will experimentally examine these hypotheses on factors
that controls plant diversity and how we may change the competitive balance
among plant species to favor natives, increase the abundance of rare and
threatened species, and decrease the prevalence of exotic weeds.

If you are interested in such a research project for your Ph D, please
contact me. This requires an interest in both basic and applied community
and ecosystem ecology.

Johannes (Jean) M H Knops
School of Biological Sciences
University of Nebraska