For those who have not heard....

NASA today announced that research done through their exobiology
program discovered a that a bacterium living in Mono Lake, California
can use Arsenic in place of phosphorus.  This is being pretty hyped in
the news as a new form of life.  I think the aspect regarding its
impact on extraterestrial life is over-hyped and frankly a stretch.
We are not looking at an organism THAT USES Arsenic instead of
phosporus.  We are looking at an organism that CAN OPPORTUNISTICALLY
USE Arsenic in place of phosphorus.  This is pretty cool, and a huge
scientific finding.  however, I guess our anti-intellectual society
would find it very difficult to appreciate that this is a big deal, so
we have to promote the least interesting component of the study, the
most speculative, and frankly the part that is hardly related to these
findings,...that extraterrestrial life could use Arsenic.  In fact,
this DOES NOT REDEFINE our understanding of life, it REAFFIRMS our
understanding!!!  This is another adaptation that evolved from species
with normal phosphorus-based physiology that resides in a high-arsenic
environment. We long believed that organisms should be able to do
this, and now they found one that could.  Also, they have not
established whether these organisms do this in the environment, only
that they can do it in the lab.

Understand, I am not taking away from the extreme importance of their
findings, I just wish we would actually revel in their findings
instead of speculation that has not been established.

Here is a link to the NASA announcement:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/astrobiology_toxic_chemical.html

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Managing Editor,

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not