Thank you for your comments. As I said in an earlier post, I do believe that
getting students familiar with the spreadsheet functions of Excel - sorting,
copying, fill, formulas, etc. - may be the most worthwhile thing that I teach
them. And, Excel is almost as integral to some of my research as a microscope
is to others'.

BUT, Excel, particularly its graphics, was clearly designed for business
applications. It may make fine graphs for a corporate presentations. But the
first thing I always have to do is to tell my students to undo some of the
silly defaults like gridlines and Chart Titles. And I'll send $5 to anyone that
can tell me what is presented when I insert "Error Bars". (And yes, I know how
to do it manually. But who would expect that the one-click version is nonsense
and in order to do it right you have to make 6 clicks?)

The bigger frustration for me is the number of versions. 2 platforms (Mac vs.
PC) x 2 versions each and counting. Oh, and the latest Excel doesn't have the
Analysis Toolpac. But the next one will! Great - another version I have to
expect my students to have.

Maybe Excel in my class is like Churchill's Democracy - it is the worst in the
world, except for all of the others. But I have to try some of the others first.

I have been asked to report my experiences back to the List, and I will try to
do so in March. I am not doing any quantitative comparisons of students'
experiences, but if anyone wants to think about this as a TIEE kind of study in
the future, I'd be willing to listen.

-Jeff

Jeffrey D. Corbin
Department of Biological Sciences