Hi, Fellows in Ecolog-L

I would like to ask for your suggestion on one of our decomposition
experiment.

We have some wood materials that decomposed for three years. After 2 years,
the carbon concentration (mg/g, that is X mg carbon to 1 g of dry material)
started to drop below 500mg/g. It reached around 300 mg/g at the end of the
3 years.

I'm wonder if there is any reason for the decrease of this carbon
concentration. One reason I think possible is that the carbon was respired
while O and H were accumulated and form humic like materials.

We'll appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Zewei Song
University of Minnesota
Dept. of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering
Lab of Biodegradation