Consider fisheries as a good example of overlap between conservation and
gardening:
Fish farms are 100% gardening.  Rearing fish to adult size in hatcheries so
as to provide catchable trout is almost 100% gardening. Using fish
hatcheries to provide releasable smolts so as to maintain harvestable runs
of salmon is still principally gardening. Using fish hatcheries to
re-establish self-maintaining wild populations is partially gardening and
partially conservation.  Less gardening and more conservation occurs when
wild fish are trapped and relocated to re-establish self-maintaining
populations.  Habitat restoration and fish harvest restriction is partially
gardening but mostly conservation.  Managing and maintaining a
self-sustaining population through habitat protection and harvest controls
is conservation.

The pros for gardening in the above cases?  Plenty of fish for the market
and the creel; the fish on your table costs less. Cons? Pollution, disease
spread, genetic contamination, competition with conservation efforts.

The pros for conservation?  Self-sustaining, balanced and healthy aquatic
systems that are more stable over time and less expensive to manage.  Cons?
Fewer fish for the market and the creel; the fish on your table costs more
(but can be of higher quality); potentially less funding for conservation
because of reduced fishing license and fee collections.

I think we're in the process of transitioning to fisheries based on more
conservation and less gardening, at least here in the Pacific Northwest.
Our markets feature wild-caught salmon coming mostly from self-sustaining
Alaska fisheries (although some are also coming from hatchery supported
Pacific coast fisheries). Trout anglers are becoming more satisfied with
catch and release fisheries and salmon anglers have to release wild-stock
fish in many fisheries.

But this transitioning must occur more internationally and can probably only
occur if we recognize and adjust to limits of growth and consumption.  That
is probably the looming cloud that could make the gardening vs. conservation
discussion futile.

Warren W. Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
Tigard, Oregon