Hi, Erin,

Interesting you reply so long after it seemed the thread was finished --
perhaps, like me, you sometimes have too many emails to get through them all in
a timely fashion, so you let some slide while dealing with the most critical?

In answer to your question about the "point of no return," I have asked myself
that very question.  When you have an entire resume page filled with seasonal
or short-term positions, that does not look good to an employer seeking a
permanent employee.  Seasonal tech work may be appropriate for a recent
graduate trying to gain real-world experience, but -- please correct me if I am
wrong -- to keep credibility, one is generally expected to gain some direction
and stability after awhile.

As for me, I finished my bachelor's degree at the age of 23, and decided to get
some real-world experience before graduate school.  Unfortunately, one thing
led to another, as it were, and I did not actually go back to start my master's
until I was 35.  I feel it was not a moment too soon, maybe even a bit late.  I
am less familiar with Americorps, but having looked at a number of SCA (Student
Conservation Association) positions in my younger days, I seem to recall at
least some of them have a cutoff age, no older than 25?

So here I am in my late 30s, and in a sense in the same place as any younger
"recent graduate," but without certain opportunities available to younger
people.  I am still trying to figure out what implications that has for the
rest of my life.

Jason Hernandez
Biological Science Technician, USFS

--- On Wed, 3/9/11, ECOLOG-L automatic digest system