As a field ecologist, my observations are not entirely scientific or
empirical but I hope they are objective.  First, a Wilderness designation
does not generally prevent mining since the Federal Mining Act of 1872
precedes and supersedes the Wilderness Act of 1964.
Second, designated Wilderness Areas vary so much ecologically it is
difficult to generalize about conditions of air, water, and biota.
Generally, however, it has been my observation that designated Wilderness
Areas tend to have these qualities in comparison to adjacent non-wilderness
lands:

1. Wilderness tends to be structurally and biologically more diverse and
resilient.
2. Wilderness source streams and lakes tend to be cleaner in terms of
pathogens, pollutants and silt (but grazing is still allowed in wilderness
areas, so don't drink downstream from the sheep herd -- and even high
altitude wilderness streams may contain giardia).
3. The greatest risks to headwaters are from soil disturbance due to road
construction and mining, steep slope soil movement due to tree removal,
chemical-laden seepages and runoff from mined areas, over-grazing, and
riparian area disturbances.  Except for mining and grazing, these activities
do not occur in designated Wilderness Areas.
4. Certain species assemblages are much more likely to exist and be
productive in designated Wilderness Areas or in areas with wilderness
conditions, e.g., wolverine, fisher, lynx, brown and grizzly bears,
Capercaillie, Northern Spotted Owl and some of its prey species, bull trout.
5. Several species are less likely to conflict with humans and human
enterprises when they inhabit large, contiguous wilderness areas, e.g.,
cougar, grizzly bear, wolves.

Hope this helps a little, and I'm sure others on this list will provide more
specific information.

Warren W. Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
9403 SW 74th Ave