I would like advice from the conservation community regarding career paths in
conservation in
Africa.

I have been given the opportunity to undertake a great PhD looking at
human-elephant conflict
from a primarily social science perspective. As an conservation ecologist with
both wildlife research
and community conservation management experience, I am interested in this issue
and feel that it
could be a good move, but I am concerned that it will lead me away from my
desire to work
directly with wildlife conservation issues in the future.

My ambition is to ultimately work in a national park or reserve in Africa,
while still engaging with
local communities on CBNRM type projects but also hopefully running wildlife
monitoring projects
and other conservation activities. Would this be more the job description for a
conservation
manager rather than a researcher?

I know that is not neccessary to have a PhD to become a conservation manager,
but perhaps given
the current trend in linking conservation with community development, the
experience will be
valued for this kind of job.

My question is do you think that taking on this social science PhD will
contribute or deviate me
from my goal to work with on conservation in a National Park?

Thanks for your advice!

Tania