All:

Recent activity (and inactivity?) on Ecolog has alerted me to the apparent fact
that these ancient emotions and dominance-posturing are all too alive and well
right here and now.

Almost everyone has some degree of awareness of the potential hazards of
posting anything to the Internet, and the fact that it doesn't require
"facebook" posts to expose one to every genius and kook in the world.

My present concern is confined to concerns about the potential of Ecolog, and
how much of that potential is unrealized. Here is a small list of my
observations over the last decade or so of reading and posting to Ecolog:

1. Judging from the off-list emails I've received, I've come to the conclusion
that students, in particular, are wary of posting to Ecolog. I think I know
some of the answers, but I would like to know the whole gory story.

[more of the list later . . . ]

WT

PS: You can (of course!) respond off-list if you don't want to expose yourself
and your ideas to the (13,000+ - subscribers?) world. In your reply, however,
please don't alter the beginning of the subject-line, on or off-list. Feel free
to add subsidiary subjects after the existing subject. Or, if you want to start
a new, but relevant thread, feel free to do so.