"in order for an individual to be satisfied": IMO, this is the key phrase in
the essay you post. It is very important to investigate what makes men &
women "satisfied" with re: differential apportionment of time & energy to
professional, family, and, if you wish, play activities. I would speculate
that results would reflect clear sexual-dimorphism, *ceteris paribus*. BTW,
a number of my colleagues combine "play" & professional activities (e.g.,
attending conferences with family or partner @exotic or other locales of
interest). Further, for many, science IS play; that's what creativity &
work IS at it's best, isn't it.  Maybe some people do science because it's a
single-minded passion not simply one of several vocations, roles,
avocations, and the like. Are we to denigrate people who compose
a satisfying life consistent w/their single-mindedness and preference for
more-or-less uninterrupted focus on their scientific careers?

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Judith S. Weis <jw...@andromeda.rutgers.edu

--
Clara B. Jones
[Still playing the game with entropy...]