1. Liane: the definition of ecology is quite more complicated than what you
teach your students since all of the fundamental (1st principle) terms in
ecology are derived from physics (see work of Declan Bates [direct
applications to biology], David Roylance & works in physics on theory of
robustness, theory of plasticity). I am reviewing this body of work at
present for a monograph.
2. Chris: the concept of "fitness optima" is pervasive in
(theoretical/mathematical) evolutionary biology/behavioral ecology
(derived from physics). Unless I am mistaken, I was the first to use the
concept specifically to discuss "relationships" (in a review of a book by
Aureli & De Waal for Primate Info Net several years ago). The idea is
easily derived from theoretical work by Geoffrey Parker & others*, though
it took me awhile to get from the math on fitness per se to its application
to the narrow and messy ideas...relationships/associations/interactions in
sociobiology/behavioral ecology since these concepts are ubiquitously
thought of a dyadic phenomena in "social" biology (plants or animals,
including humans). I see that you are a graduate student. You should be
very tentative, at best, about making claims of independent derivation,
Wallace&Darwin being the classic case (a very long case, indeed).

*see the fundamental/theoretical/quantitative/mathematical/modeling domains
discussing "fitness budgets"/"resource holding power"/other areas of
optimality applied to behavior/sociality and the like; a good place to
begin would be the literature on "optimal foraging"--see Les Real's classic
book on this topic