Hi Brian,

I've been encountering this percent cover issue for a while. Unfortunately
my data was all based on Braun-Blanquet estimates so analysis has been
tricky. I converted to midpoint percent estimates (not strictly legitimate
but served the purpose) and then had the same problem you did.

I've been using the logit transform, log(y/1-y). And yes, you do have to
add a small error term. I found the following caused the fewest problems
(although it looks quite messy):

log[((Y*0.998)+0.001)/(1 -((Y*0.998)+0.001))]
I seem to recall that just adding 0.001 (or some other such small number)
gave greatly inflated values for points close to 1 (I could be wrong,
sorry, my 1 year old is clinging onto my leg while I write this - I may
have a few too many brackets there as well!!).

There is a great reference for this but I don't have all the details in
front of me (and now have banana all down my good pants!!):

Type into google:
"The arcsine is asinine" by Warton et al
It gives a great justification for using the logit transform and also
explains why a GLM (logit link) isn't so appropriate for % cover data (it's
quite tempting to use).

Hope this helps,
Liz

--