To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Plant Physiology Drought tolerance Re: [ECOLOG-L] course and symposium on plant breeding for drought tolerance

C4 metabolism (also known as Crassulacean acid metabolism) is accomplished
by special biochemical pathways which have their basis in genetics.  Since
these pathways evolved in some plants, it seems theoretically plausible,
however difficult, that various manipulations could cause them to appear in
species where they are not currently found.  As for the potential yield
increase, once could model that in terms of things like diffusion rates of
CO2 and water, stomatal resistance, temperature, humidity, chemical
efficiency, etc.

Additionally, plants lose water through their cuticle.  It seems reasonable
to believe that genetic factors controlling the production of cuticle could
have an impact on drought resistance: thicker cuticle -> less water loss ->
greater drought tolerance (i.e., less wilting, longer survival time between
rains, etc.)

Is this any less plausible than other manipulations that have been carried
out in the past that have resulted in increased yields?

Martin M. Meiss