Dear Ecologgers,

Thank you so much for your feedback on the editorial 'Money for nothing and
referees for free'
published in Ideas in Ecology and Evolution in December
(http://library.queensu.ca/ojs/index.php/IEE/index).  The most compelling and
common question
I was asked was is there a referee crisis in ecology (or tragedy of the
'reviewers common' as
Hochberg et al. proposed).  This is an excellent question.  I propose that
whilst there are more
perfect ways to test this (total up number of submissions and then estimate
total pool of referees,
tricky), an interesting indicator would instead to be calculate the decline to
review rate (d2rr) in
ecology.   I envision the following two primary data streams to calculate this
rate: a per capita
estimate derived from each of us personally and a mean estimate of rate from
the publishing
portals (journals).  Hence, let's do it.  Only you know your decline to (accept
doing a) review rate
across all requests whilst journals track their own net rates and your specific
rate with them too.

So, please take 30 seconds and fill in this short survey, and we can then
assess, to an extent,
whether there is a referee crisis in ecology.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VD3K36W

I have also compiled a long list of emails for every editor I could find for
all ecology journals and
have contacted them to see if they would share the rate at which individuals
decline for each of
them, i.e. do they have to ask 5 or 6 people to even secure two reviews?  I
will not share the journal
names etc. and protect their rates as I recognize the implications.  I would
just like to know what
our overall mean is from a journal perspective too.

Thanks so much for your time and help with these discussions.  I hope you think
they are
important too, but I also want to assure you that this is my penultimate post
on the subject.
Warm regards,
Christopher Lortie.
lor...@yorku.ca