---- Gavin Simpson <gavin.simp...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 08:51 -0600, David L. McNeely wrote:
> > ---- Jane Shevtsov <jane....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I just checked, and ESA charges nonsubscribers $20 for a single article
> > > published in the December 2011 issue of Ecology. How is that reasonable?
> > > And I'm no business maven, but isn't that far past the optimal price point
> > > in terms of revenue generation? I could see paying $2 or $3 for an article
> > > if I was an infrequent reader, but $20?
> > >
> > > There's a good blog post on what alternatives publishers might support at
> > > <
> > > http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/what-should-the-publishers-lobby-for/
> >
> > Is it really so difficult to get a paper?  I have never been unable to
> > get a paper I wanted or needed, and I have never paid the high prices
> > that publishers demand for instant access on the internet.  Most of us
> > live within 50 miles of a library.  If the library does not subscribe
> > to the journal in which the paper appears, interlibrary loan will get
> > it for a reasonable cost.
>
> I question the use of the word reasonable here. In the UK an
> interlibrary loan for a single paper or part of a work costs me £12 -
> for a photocopy!!! My university subsidises this so I must personally
> pay £3.[*]
>
> If the authors of the paper have paid ESA page charges to produce the
> thing and subscribers to the journal have paid for the print copy, where
> exactly does the $20 charged for the paper go, what does it pay for? The
> website and mechanisms for storing and delivering the content
> electronically, but that can't possibly cost $20.
>
> There are ways round this and many scientists probably share PDFs of
> papers they shouldn't but the point is that $20 for a stream of bits is
> ridiculously expensive. Those lay people might not be that aware of the
> other methods for getting papers and seeing the price they may be put
> off trying to access the work. If that is work funded by the Government
> it is shameful.

The money that ESA and other scholarly organizations charge for electronic
copies of their reports goes to support the organization.  The organization
makes possible the publication and decimination of new knowledge.  There are
costs involved, whether or not you think that the only thing the organization
has to pay is for the electrical power to zip electrons around.  Yes, the
incremental cost of pushing out another copy is small.  But all the
infrastructure of the organization is involved in getting there, and is at
stake if we succomb to the idea that only the incremental cost should be paid
by the user.

Yes, libraries and other institutions pay a substantial subsidy in providing
photocopies through interlibrary loan.  If they don't, then charges must be
high like those you paid.  The entity that supports the library has taken the
position that creation and decimination of knowledge is its role in society,
and it will recoup costs via whatever funding mechanisms it has.  In a just
society, that is the public through its various taxing mechanisms and through
donations that result in successful investment.  Nothing wrong with this.  New
knowledge into the public realm is worth paying for.  But scholarly
organizations like ESA don't have access to those funding sources.  Their
funding is their membership and their publishing.  The publishing is mostly,
for most such organizations, not really profitable.  It only works because they
charge institutional subscribers large fees, because some organizations
actually do pay page charges, and because some scholarly organizations have s!
 uccessful investment programs (endowments, which have suffered along with the
rest of the economy).

You want the electronic copies for the incremental cost of producing one copy.
But that is not the whole story, and when you get it for that, you are
parasitizing the membership of the organization, which already subsidizes the
functions of the organization substantially.  You place the whole enterprise at
risk.  Where will we be when there is no ESA, no ASIH, no Limnological Society,

mcneely

--
David McNeely