From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Jason Hernandez
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:09 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Isolated populations of Sitka spruce

Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis) is a characteristic tree of the coastal "fog
belt" of the Pacific Northwest.  Arthur Kruckeberg, in _Natural History of the
Puget Sound Country_, shows a nice map of the "Sitka spruce" zone's extent
relative to the "western hemlock/Douglas-fir" zone in Washington State.
Essentially, the Sitka spruce zone extends in a belt approximately 20 miles
wide along the coast and the Strait of Juan de Fuca, but ends at the Olympic
rain shadow at the San Juan archipelago; it does not extend south through the
inland waterways of Puget Sound.  The explanation given is that this species
lacks the ability to regulate transpiration, and so requires the high humidity
of the fog belt.

However, in my years of observations, I have found at least three populations
of Sitka spruce in central and southern Puget Sound, far outside the regular
"Sitka spruce zone."  These populations are small in extent, with the species
absent from the rest of the central and southern Puget Sound basin.  I have
been curious about what factors have allowed these populations to establish and
persist outside the fog belt, but I struggle to formulate any workable
hypotheses.  Has anyone else worked with any similar phenomena?

Jason Hernandez