Chris is on the ball.
Although an environmental scientist and and ecologist overlap in their
education, and can and often do similar things, they are not
equivalents.  An environmental scientist will be steeped in ecology,
but also policy and economics.  This person will be trained to address
things that relate to management, regulation, mitigation,risk
assessment and impacts.  An ecologist might do some of these things,
but its really tangent to their training.  Likewise, you may find an
environmental scientist who performs research in behavioural ecology
or community ecology, but again this is not typical of an
environmental scientist.  part of the reason for the confusion is that
many schools umbrella one or the other areas under a degree title.
There are many ecologists who get their education in an environmental
science program.  Likewise, there are many professional environmental
scientists who got their education in an ecology program.

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry

Managing Editor,
Herpetological Conservation and Biology

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" -
Allan Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

The Seven Blunders of the World (Mohandas Gandhi)
Wealth w/o work
Pleasure w/o conscience
Knowledge w/o character
Commerce w/o morality
Science w/o humanity
Worship w/o sacrifice
Politics w/o principle

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not