Hello Everyone -
La MICA Biological Station (www.lamica.org) and Team Snake Panama
(www.lamica.org/teamsnakepnama.html) are developing a transect in central
Panama running between the Pan-American highway (Pacific versant, 100 m) over
the Continental Divide to the Caribbean versant. We have begun a fundraiser
involving the general public (see below) and will be putting out cover objects
along the transect. Future plans include active searchs and drift fences. Our
research will focus primarily on snakes and secondarily on other reptiles and
amphibians. Cover objects are not widdely used in the tropics, but we
anticipate a variety of taxa, especially invertebrates, herps, and small
mammals, utilizing the cover.
If anyone has interested in potential collaborations, please send an email to
Julie at la.m...@yaho.com to further discuss the project. Furthermore you can
request a map of the area. See below if you would like to help the project with
a donation.

Thank you!
Julie

______________

Adopt A Cover Object!Team Snake Panama (TSP) is invoking on a new research
expedition and you can come along!
A new road now allows access onto the Atlantic versant in central Panama. This
road continues on from our entrance road making it possible to travel from
almost the Pacific coast to almost the Caribbean coast in a matter of a couple
of hours! This presents the opportunity to study all sorts of characteristics
of the flora and fauna. TSP will focus on the snakes.
In the US it is common to lay out cover objects to attract and increase the
chances of finding snakes. Although this method is not widely used in the
tropics, one of the objectives for the new study is to look at the leaf litter
snakes. This group is very much understudied throughout the country and little
is known about even their general biology.
In short, we are going to set up arrays of tin cover objects (later followed by
drift fences and active searches) from the Pacific to the Caribbean. We are
offering you the opportunity to “adopt a cover object”. With your donation we
will purchase the tin and pay local people to cut the sheets to size and
distribute them to the appropriate sites. Extra funds will pay for gasoline and
local field assistants to check the boards.
In exchange for your donation you can follow your cover object(s). Receive
updates and photos of the various critters we find under your objects (not just
limited to snakes but potentially rodents, insects, lizards, etc.)!How it works:
1. Choose an area where you would like your object placed (see map - request
from Julie). Some areas will be surveyed sooner and more frequently than
others, but there are a variety of habitats available. We have named each area
after a famous herpetologist who has conducted research in Panama.
2. Choose the number of cover objects you would like to adopt. Adopt one object
for $10 or an array (6 objects) for $50.
3. Visit
Make check to: Julie Ray
Send check to: Julie Ray, 12458 132nd Street, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
Please note in the memo line “Adopt a Cover Object”
4. Email Julie at
This is a fantastic way to not only help support research conducted by Team
Snake Panama with the assistance of local Panamanians, but also a way to live
vicariously through our work!www.lamica.org/teamsnakepanama.htmland click on
the Make a Donation button to submit the amount you will donate. Alternatively,
you can send a check.julie.ray@lamica.orgto tell me in which section you would
like your boards and to provide an email address where updates can be sent to
you. You may also specify if there is a certain type of organism you are most
interested in. In the future we will develop a webpage where you can log-on and
check up on your adopted object(s).

Julie M. Ray, MSc, PhD
Director
La MICA Biological Station
Fundación Centro de Investigación Biológica El Copé, S.A. (Panama)
US Address: Julie Ray, 12458 132nd Street, Chippewa Fall,s WI 54729
http//www.lamica.org
la.m...@yahoo.com

El Cope-La Pintada. Provincia de Cocle. Republica de Panama
Panama telephone: [011-507]-6707-8900