At the risk of "tooting my own horn" a book I co-authored with Carol
Butler, Salt Marshes: A Natural and Unnatural History, (Rutgers University
Press 2009) could be a good introduction to the subject. We do focus on
Atlantic coast marshes, have chapters on various ways in which humans have
altered marshes, and do write a bit about Jamaica Bay in particular.