Cat,

Congratulations!

I am an avid Mac user, having made the move a few years back from the PC world.

If you are very mobile, I highly recommend the 13" MacBook Air.  With the 3
finger swipe enabled, you have nearly unlimited desktop space, making the
relatively smaller screen size meaningless as you can now have multiple full
screen applications open at once.  Performance is incredible, and the flash
hard drive is extremely reliable and fast. Even with moderate simulations
running in R, I have had no performance issues. The laptop has >6h battery life
and is extremely light at ~4 lbs. Splurge on the bigger hard drive and
processor and you will have a machine that should serve your purposes for at
least 3y. With a student discount you are looking at around $1500.

As for stat software, you will get by fine with R, but always have VirtualBox
as an option (free) to run Windows if you need SAS or other Windows-only
alternatives. R will become your go to tool for most of your quantitative needs.

I also highly recommend Evernote (also free) for cloud storage and syncing of
notes - I couldn't live without it. Notebook sharing in the paid version
($45/yr) is extremely useful. I use Papers for references, but many of my
students use Mendeley and are very happy.

I don't know what the Windows alternatives are.  I am sure many of the same
features can be found, but this is my two cents.

Regards, Chris

--
Christopher M. Swan, Ph.D.
Graduate Program Director