Seems relevant at this time to remind ourselves of the statistical meaning
of correlation vs its popular use and perhaps more importantly why Ecology
and Evolutionary Biology became and continue to be experimental sciences
whenever possible.

>From the classic stats text Steele and Torrie (1980 p 277).

"Correlation measures a co-relation, a joint property of two variables.
Where variables are jointly affected because of external influences,
correlation may offer the most logical approach to that analysis of the
data.  Regression deals primarily with the means of one variable and how
their location changes with another variable.  Š. Correlation is
associated with descriptive techniques: regression has to do with a
relation between population means and the values of a concomitant
variable.  Thus, whereas a correlation coefficient tells us something abut
a joint relationship between variables, a regression coefficient tells us
that if we alter the value of the independent variable then we can expect
the dependent variable to alter by a certain amount on the average,
sampling variation making it unlikely that precisely the stated amount of
change will be observed."

Thus, in Tom's example the correlation between churches and drunks implies
not that either drives variation in the other, but simply that they
covary, which may be a result of simple coincidence or that the are both
responding to a common external driver.  So, when most lay people talk
about correlation, especially in looking for causal drivers, they are
really implying regression and have a priori chosen one variable as the
putative independent variable. Both approaches  may IMPLY causation,
regression by one of a pair of variables and correlation by some external
driver affecting both variables, but neither can establish causation.

Only well-designed experiments actually establish causation.  These may
identify causal factors phenomenologically (without necessarily
identifying mechanism) or mechanistically, but either way are the only
method for definitively establishing causal relationships.  When used as
the ultimate analysis (rather than for hypothesis generation) The
elaborate and increasing sophisticated statistical methods of regression
and elaborate models are quite simply a substitute for situations where
experiments are infeasible.  Good to never lose sight of that.

William J. Resetarits, Jr
Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Texas Tech University