I went a slightly alternative route, born and B.S.-ed in the US, but went to
Australia (University of Tasmania) for my PhD in the marine conservation
field, then returned to the US for my post doc. I had an overall great
experience in Australia - like Europe, no class requirements and finished in
3-4 years. I had advisors who didn't just hand me a project 'recipe', but gave
me space to develop my project, while also providing guidance when needed. I
was also able to get tuition and a stipend covered, even as a foreign student.
I know I was lucky, but would encourage students to keep Australia in mind in
their PhD search! International conferences can be a great way to meet
potential advisors, as well as over email and skype.