Hi All

Excuse the horribly late, out-of-context response. Often, it's hard to tell
with the responses to threads wheather the accuracy/inaccuracy  of a particular
statement is generally agreed upon, or simply not commented upon. My feeling is
almost always the latter. I didn't receive any reponses personally from anyone,
so felt the need to set the record straight for any students or experts who
felt the point had been made and didn't question the accuracy of the response
to my post.

I tried to make a point earlier in this thread related to Community Evolution;
more as a potential question for the panel in question in the initial request
for responses. The last reply to my thread, from Joey Smokey, was the most
troubling. His retort was that "communities do not evolve" and that the "topic
had been sufficiently put to rest".

This came as news to me. Please let me introduce the list to Dr. Thomas
Whitham. In 2011, he received the Eminent Ecologist award from the Ecological
Society of America. ANY of his work in the last 15 years, including multiple
publications in Nature and Science, are relevant in a discussion of Community
Ecology, structure, genomics, heritablility, etc. I'll include (again) a link
to his website and one reference in particular, as searches on ANY of these
other authors will lead to plenty more work on the aforementioned topics.

Frankly, I'm a bit concerned at the lack of response to the negative comments
on my Community Evolution "suggestion". This is an enormous body of work, and
is hardly "put to rest". Dr. Whitham and the NSF would be surprised to hear the
news (NSF-Foundations in Biological Research grant). If films are your thing,
also check out http://athousandinvisiblecords.org/about-the-film/biographies.
Really cool stuff.

http://nau.edu/CEFNS/NatSci/Biology/Faculty-Staff/Faculty-Pages/Whitham/

Whitham, T. G., DiFazio, S. P., Schweitzer, J. A.,
Shuster, S. M., Allan, G. J., Bailey, J. K., & Woolbright, S. A.
(2008). Extending genomics to natural communities and ecosystems. Science,
320(5875), 492-495.

Regards,
Eric

Eric North