This ad has some of the oddest requirements I've ever seen. The applicant
must have "normal manual dexterity and visual and auditory faculty"? I
understand ads specifying that a person must be able to lift 50 pounds,
hike over rough terrain or even, as in this ad, get around campus, as these
are meaningful job-related activities, but manual dexterity and sensory
acuteness are just means to various ends. Would you turn down Geerat
Vermeij because he's blind?

It would be much better to think about what you want the person you hire to
be able to do. Do you care about their ability to teach lab classes? Give
effective lectures? Do research? Then say that. A person who doesn't have
"normal manual dexterity" may have other ways of doing these things. Don't
shut out qualified applicants with disabilities from the get-go.

Jane Shevtsov

--
Jane Shevtsov, Ph.D.

“Those who say it cannot be done should not interfere with those who are
doing it.” --attributed to Robert Heinlein, George Bernard Shaw and others