Kirsten, some microbial metabolism does occur at low temperatures.  That is why
there is sometimes oxygen depletion in winter, under ice.  When ice cover
occurs, gas exchange with the atmosphere is obviously precluded.  Under ice
metabolism has been sufficient to deplete oxygen enough to cause fish deaths.

That said, Occam's razor serves me in the instance you speak of.  We are
experiencing exceptionally warm winters in recent years (even while we do have
some extremes like the -32 F recorded in Oklahoma a couple of years ago, and
the current bout of brutally cold weather across the northern U.S. states and
much of Canada east of the Rockies).  Why would your unfrozen or thinly frozen
lake not be a part of the general phenomenon of warmer than normal winters?
This is a pattern, not limited to certain geographic regions.  It has been
exceptionally warm for the past few years, and this winter is no exception to
that.

David McNeely

---- Kirsten Harma <kharm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In my corner of eastern British Columbia we've h
> Greetings Ecologists,

In my corner of eastern British Columbia we've had a warmer than average winter
and a later than average date of freeze of our local lake (surface freezes
completely, usually thick enough to drive on). Yet no one talks of "climate
change," rather, some people have been attributing the thin ice to decaying
aquatic plants.  I assume this is because gases as a byproduct of decay bubble
up, bringing +4 water to the surface-- but would decay be happening during the
winter?  We have a pretty shallow lake (maximum depth = 7 metres; average = 3
metres) and we haven't recorded thermal stratification in our lake in the
spring, summer or fall.  I would like to educate the community about how much
of an influence decaying plants might be having on creating thin sections of
ice on the lake.  I would appreciate hearing your ideas on the impacts of
decaying plants on ice melt and their possible relative contribution to thin
ice.

Thanks so much!

~Kirsten Harma, MSc.
  Invermere, BC

(my apologies for the repost -- the first posting appeared with a very strange
format on Ecolog)

--
David McNeely