---- Wayne Tyson <landr...@cox.net> wrote:

> I fear that I must run the risk of offending some to say that, in my
> experience (admittedly not a large "sample"), most of those with
> conservation biology/ecology degrees fall woefully short in terms of the
> fundamentals. These were well-intentioned, even sentimental and romantic
> folks, but it seemed to me that their degree had come to them at a cost of
> the basic tools necessary to do meaningful work where the wheel actually
> meets the road. Overview? It appears so. But I wonder what the facts really
> are.

Wayne, are you perhaps painting with a broad brush?  Just wonderin'.  I have
believed the same of "Environmental Studies" degrees, but then found some who
were quite adept and went on to significant science/conservation careers.  Many
of these degrees are not intended to produce scientists, but rather people who
work in science related or even natural history education settings that do
provide important public service.  On the other hand, I have seen quite capable
people who were distracted into such programs with too little understanding of
the difference between them and a rigorous, science program.

David McNeely