I haven't done this yet, but am on a slow path to do it at our Santa Cruz
field station near Mazan (Iquitos) Peru.   Right now I only have scant
anecdotal reports and a couple of spreadsheets - very infantile, yet
already unmanageable.  Over the next couple of months, we have a volunteer
starting to collect geo info (mainly to map the trails), but we would also
add observation data.  The fellow has expertise with ArcView and we're
hoping that he can start to tie a few of the pieces together.

Colleague of mine has cataloged some of the trees he's planted in the Upper
Amazon - nice little search engine with pictures.

http://www.caminoverde.org/resources   - then to the tree database

As for a biodiversity survey, I have a nice report of what's sold in the
Belen (Iquitos) Market.  The idea was to set a baseline for future study.
I did a basic translation and Devon Graham reconciled many of the species
with scientific names.  If you or others are interested, email me offline.

-Don

Don Dean
District Science Coordinator, Oakland NJ Schools
Project Amazonas Reforestation and Environmental Education
projectamazonastree.org

Join us in the Amazon in 2013!