Hi Chris and other interested Ecologgers,
I deal with a lot of microclimate data in terrestrial systems in the context of
predicting the impacts of winter climate change on insects and other
ectotherms. Although a comparison of means will surely be useful, there are
many other parameters that may be as important or more important. As you say,
it is vitally important to consider thermal variability in addition to mean
temperatures, due to the non-linearity of many biological processes and the
effects of Jensen's inequality (See Ruel and Ayres 1999 TREE for a nice
explanation of the biological impacts of this mathematical phenomenon, and
Williams et al. 2012 PLoS ONE 7(3)e34470 for an example of how to use hourly
temperature data to predict organismal metabolism). In addition you may want to
consider the proximity of extreme temperatures under the rocks to physiological
limits (e.g. CTmin or max, LLT or ULT, developmental thresholds). Brent
Sinclair has Excel macros that are very easy to use for extracting information
from microclimate recordings (Sinclair 2001 Cryo Letters) that are available
upon request from the author (now at Western University, bsinc...@uwo.ca) or I
can provide you a copy if you email me). I now do most of my microclimate
processing in R and I have some scripts I can provide if you want them. You
could look at parameters such as number of times temperatures exceed a
threshold, duration spent over a threshold etc etc. See our recent paper on
freezing frogs for another example of how to use temperature data to predict
threshold events (Sinclair et al. 2013 Journal of Experimental Biology doi:
10.1242/​jeb.076331).

Cheers,
Caroline (carolinewilli...@ufl.edu)