Bjorn,

I agree with a lot of this and, as usual, would take it a bit farther:

I like your idea of some sort of public forum of scoring elements of academia, particularly for grad students and postdocs to use. However, I would allow the scoring of individual labs/faculty/facility (this already exists for teaching BTW - what's that "rate my professor" site, probably more than one?).

I have even brought this up several times in various venues where I have been advocating for postdocs, however the idea is always shot down by admin and faculty and they don't even want their postdocs to ask their students to touch it with a mile long pole on their behalf, even as PI and for corresponding authorship. Some have even suggested that doing such a thing would result in slander or liable. Again, isn't the same true of the "rate my professor" sites that already exist?

Anyone here want to create this "rate my PI/facility/lab" site with me?

(Frankly, the NIH and NSF should be doing this, and refusing money for more trainees to faculty with poor reviews. Research is evaluated in grant applications, why not mentorship?)