Colleagues:

Registration is now open for the 9th biennial North American Forest Ecology
Workshop to be held June 16-20, 2013 in Bloomington, Indiana.  The workshop
will focus on forest fragmentation but will include concurrent sessions on
several ecological themes; some are listed in the announcement.  Plenary
speakers include Drs. Eric Gustafson (USFS), Daniel Dey (USFS) and Robert
Swihart (Purdue FNR), and Allen Pursell (TNC).  Updated conference information
can be found at nafew.org<http://www.nafew.org/>.

The conference will include a Sunday evening icebreaker, a Tuesday evening
banquet, and Wednesday day-long field trips.  Field trips will include tours of
the Hardwood Ecosystem Experiment - a long-term forest and wildlife management
study, Donaldson's Woods and Pioneer Mothers-old-growth forest remnants, the
Hoosier National Forest - oak ecology and silviculture, Crane Naval Weapons
Support Center - forest management on military bases, Marengo Cave - karst
geology and ecology, and Indiana University Ecological Research - carbon flux
tower and invasive species.

Registration
(nafew.org/2013-registration<http://www.nafew.org/2013-registration>) will cost
$340 for the conference plus $40 for the Wednesday field trip.  We have
separated the field trip cost for several of our local attendees who may have
already seen the sites, and for those who want to explore Bloomington and
southern Indiana on their own on Wednesday. Early registration discounts end
May 20.

This program is not yet approved for CFE credit. After the program is
finalized, we will be requesting CFE credit from the Society of American
Foresters. We expect 11 - 16 hours of Category 1-CF credits to be approved,
depending on which field trip is taken.

Lastly, we are actively seeking posters for the conference.  Guidelines for
abstract submission are posted at
nafew.org/abstracts<http://www.nafew.org/abstracts>.  Deadline for poster
submission has been extended to March 15.

I hope to see many of you in Bloomington in June 2013!

Mike R. Saunders
Chair, NAFEW9 Planning Committee
Assistant Professor of Hardwood Silviculture
Department of Forestry and Natural Resources
Purdue University
715 State Street
West Lafayette, IN  47907