I suspect many ecologists, from students to professors, may be concerned about this issue. Of course contacting your own elected representatives with a personal message is the best option, but here's one that takes less time, courtesy of AAAS.

David Inouye

In early January, Congress came to an agreement that delayed the automatic cuts triggered by sequestration until March 1. As of today, our political leaders have made little progress towards a comprehensive deficit reduction plan. This means that the sequestration remains very much within the realm of possibility.

If sequestration does come to pass, AAAS estimates that we would lose $54 billion in federal scientific R&D funding between now and the year 2017.

As we once again move to the edge of the "fiscal cliff" we are asking you to <http://app.aaas-science.org/e/er?s=1906&lid=26917&elq=69c72a9d1a96478087a11e228f6b021d>raise your voice in support of federal research and development funding. Please take a moment to <http://app.aaas-science.org/e/er?s=1906&lid=26917&elq=69c72a9d1a96478087a11e228f6b021d>sign the petition that we will share with leaders of both branches of government urging them to protect funding for science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

<http://app.aaas-science.org/e/er?s=1906&lid=26917&elq=69c72a9d1a96478087a11e228f6b021d>The time to act is now. If triggered, these spending cuts will have a massive and potentially devastating impact on our nation’s health, economy, and security. Indiscriminate cuts will do significant damage to the scientific enterprise, ending promising research projects, eliminating jobs, and stalling the innovation process.

Let’s come together as a community and insist that the future of innovation be protected. Let's <http://app.aaas-science.org/e/er?s=1906&lid=26917&elq=69c72a9d1a96478087a11e228f6b021d>"Speak Up For Science". Together we can make a difference.

Alan I. Leshner, CEO
American Association for the Advancement of Science