Fellow Ecologers,

The other day, I managed to leave my printed data sheets behind when I went out
to a site to collect plant community data. Fortunately, I had my iPod, and I
was able to use Notes to collect the data. My sites have a modified Whittaker
plot design that consists of one large 20x50 m site, with one 5x20 m, two 2x5,
and 10 0.5x2 m plots nested within. For the small 0.5x2 plots, I estimate
coverage using a sampling frame; in all the other sizes, I note
presence/absence. I've also been recording flower/fruiting.

So Notes worked OK, but I had to type in names for every plot, which was
tedious and slowed me down. The printed data sheets I usually use have species
names for each plot size that occurred in the last sampling season, because
species turn over slowly, and I simply update presence (and percent coverage in
the smallest plots). What I would love is a form-type app that allowed me to
preload species names for the plots, then enter and update  percent
cover/presence as appropriate. And if I had to add a new species, I'd like the
flexibility to do that in the field. And I would need something that can work
in the field without a connection but would update when I had a new connection.

I've looked in Apple's App store at form apps, but none of them seem to have
what I need. If you know of such an app--or even better, have used such an
app--please let me and the list know.

Thanks, Rick

================================
Richard L. Boyce, Ph.D.
Director, Environmental Science Program
Professor
Department of Biological Sciences, SC 150
Northern Kentucky University
Nunn Drive
Highland Heights, KY  41099  USA

859-572-1407 (tel.)
859-572-5639 (fax)
boy...@nku.edu<mailto:boy...@nku.edu>
http://www.nku.edu/~boycer/

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries." - A.A. Milne