---- Wayne Tyson <landr...@cox.net> wrote:
> The etymology of the term "landscape" means "to scrape the land." Not much
> to do with ecology. Yes, I know that the word has come to mean something
> else, but it interferes with public understanding of the fundamental
> opposition of landscaping with ecosystems.
>
> It may be futile, but I'm gonna keep on griping about it.

Good for you Wayne.  Every field needs at least 2-3 capable curmudgeons.  And,
the English language needs an overseer or two to help keep it true to its roots
(howsomever diverse those roots might be).

FWIW, I agree with you regarding Landscape Ecology.  I recall having a
conversation with a landscape ecologist who worked at Grand Canyon National
Park some years back.  He mentioned to me that his mother called him the Grand
Canyon's gardener.

We really should have a less ambiguous term to apply to this work.

David McNeely