Russell, if you can get AC current (ordinary household current 120 V) to the
field with you, a stout wire inserted into the soil, with a power source on it,
will bring the worms to the surface.  Then you do not have a  chemical
pollutant on the soil.  I do not know about sizes of worm needed by the
turtles, or if all sizes of worms are equally vulnerable to the electricity.  I
have only seen it used to collect relatively large worms, but the people
collecting may have been ignoring small worms.  Of course, you could do some
experiments with known densities in known soils to get an idea of
effectiveness.  I do not know if it will work wiith DC, but if so, that would
be easier.

David McNeely

--
David McNeely