Cherubini, the pesticide industry is hardly an uninterested party in the
question of whether pesticides are involved in colony collapse.  The original
article brought up by Tyson is just frantic shouting with no substance, but to
turn to the pesticide industry is not an unbiased approach.  That would be akin
to asking the tobacco industry what caused lung cancer in the 1940s and 1950s.

It is not true, according to USDA   (
http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=15572  )  that there are more hives
than fifty years ago, certainly not in the U.S., where the number has been
halved since the 1940s.  And colony collapse was not a known problem fifty
years ago, so a more recent date from which to start the trend line would make
more sense, or to look at the entire history, not just point to two data points
along the line.  Colony collapse is to date a phenomenon mainly of North
America and Europe, though it may be spreading.  In some parts of the world
there may have been more hives established for economic reasons, or in response
to declines in North America.  Argentina comes to mind.

Unlike the pesticide industry, unbiased observers seem to implicate a wide
variety of causes, even including pesticides used to control the varroa mite,
the pesticide industry's favorite culprit.

David McNeely

--
David McNeely