I am passing along a link to my latest article because I was SO impressed
with the educational model of this unique private university in Costa Rica
dedicated to sustainable agriculture and that has a whole culture of
sustainability (including being a carbon-neutral university that also
certifies local businesses, and builds biodigesters for others and conulsts
on all these things). But what really impressed me is their "upside down"
education model. We need more of  this! They recruit students from third
world nations (mostly Latin America but also Africa) and more than have have
100% scholarship and the rest get more than 50% of their tuition covered.
It's funded through a USAID endowment, and was started during the
Contra-Sandinista war, and the US wanted to send military $$ and Costa Rica
refused it but said they would take $ for education, as they are inclined to
doŠ

The upside down part means they stick students in the field right away. They
go to the banana plantation, or the peri-urban garden, or in the rainforest,
or the dairy or pig farm, or work with the biodigesters. They also get $5000
to run a sustainable-ag related company for 2 yearsŠ By the last 2 years
they are in the classroom more.

Why don't we have more education like this in the US?

Oh, here's the article http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/121-a212/
(PDF mag-layout here
http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/wp-content/uploads/121/7/ehp.121-a212.pdf)

What do you think of their ecological education model?
Wendee

Wendee Nicole, M.S. Wildlife Ecology  ~ Freelance Writer * Photographer *
Bohemian

Web: [ http://www.wendeenicole.com ]
Blog: [ http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com ]
Twitter: twitter.com/bohemianone
Email: wendeenic...@nasw.org

Online Magazine Writing Class starts July 20, 2013 - Ask me!