Dossey, indeed you do have a life.  But with no spouse and no kids, you have no
basis for understanding what those who do have kids face in managing to work
while managing their families.  It is a great loss to science for them to drop
out of work, or to have to miss work in order to care for children.

This isn't money to hire a baby sitter.  It is to allow the working parent a
little time off in the early stages of parenthood, while keeping the NSF
project he or she has committed to going by hiring a temporary replacement.

Not having children, you would not face that concern, and thus would not have
that expense.  This is sort of like a lot of things going on in society right
now.  You oppose something that has no effect on you.

In Europe, new parents get extended leave.  I do not know how that is worked
out for ongoing projects.  Here, I do know that new parents working at
enlightened institutions that provide family leave have found that even with
taking the leave, they still had to work in order to keep a project going.
They just didn't get paid, and they still had the problems of providing for
their family to be cared for.

--
David McNeely