DeltaGraph is cross-system compatible between Windows and Mac, and the
most flexible/powerful paid program that I know of for Mac
(http://www.redrocksw.com/index.php/introducing-deltagraph-6.html).  Given
it's flexibility and power, I'm surprised more people don't use it.
Especially since it's been around for 15+ years.  If you are Windows only,
then SigmaPlot is widely used.  The graphing capabilities of Excel have
gotten much better over the past couple of versions, but it still doesn't
have some of the scientific plotting capabilities of DeltaGraph or
SigmaPlot.  If you want free, then R is the way to go, in conjunction with
one of the graphing cookbooks (there are a few).

Jesse Becker, Ph.D.
Texas State University
Department of Biology
Freeman Aquatic Station