Dear friends,

   I have got some replies to my question on how to estimate soil humidity from
topographic or texture data. Here they are:

**************

If you are interested in how much moisture the soil can hold than soil
texture is your best proxy.Soil humidity is hard to measure anyway, since
it fluctuates throughout the year depending on rain and temperature. Soil
texture, however, can tell you more about the water retaining properties of
the soil.  If you know Organic Matter and Texture you can estimate Field
Capacity based on equation by Saxton and Rawls (2006). I have the paper
saved somewhere on my computer, I can send it to you if you like.

Hope this helps.

*************

There are a number of reasonably well documented equations and soil moisture
model (or "Topographic Wetness Index, TWI) approaches for calculating soil
moisture parameters using a raster digital elevation model. The calculations
(which I'm guessing have evolved over the past few years) are simply a function
of the slope and the contributing upslope area; with the basic understanding
that, all things (such as land cover and soil catenas) being equal, the bottom
of a long slope slope will tend to be wetter than the top of a short slope.
Some of the older hydrological software addons to ArcGIS (TauDEM, etc...)  even
have Soil Moisture functions included. The simplistic notation is: LN (a/S) or
the natural log of the Upslope Area divided by the slope (for all points\pixels
within the DEM).

H. Mitasova has been working on the geospatial estimation of such estimates
(which can easily be built into scripted functions within packages such as
ArcGIS with Spatial Analyst (as well as Open Source software such as GRASS)...

For more see:

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/44278/PDF

http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/reports/CerlErosionTutorial/denix/Advanced/ErosionRep97/rep97.html

http://hydrology.usu.edu/RRP/userdata/4/87/Appendices.pdf