And of course, this is problematic with regard to native species like Eastern
Red Cedar and Sugar Maple that have legitimate ecological roles in systems that
operate somewhat naturally.  Red Cedar is native (has occurred in the area of
concern for hundreds of years).  Prior to fire suppression and modern grazing,
it typically occurred (in the southern plains) on steep or rocky terrain where
fire did not reach.  In those settings, it provided cover and loafing habitat
for birds and small mammals.  But with fire suppression and modern grazing, it
escaped that terrain, and moved out onto the prairies.  Now many tens of
thousands of acres support only this plant.  No other plant can grow in the
cedar thickets, and it produces little that is useful to most birds and small
mammals.

But how does one designate a native as legally noxious?  In many states, farms
are required by law to eradicate legally designated noxious species.

David McNeely

--
David McNeely