We seek MS or PhD students to assist with ecological projects related to
conservation of at-risk
butterflies. Please see our website for overview of our research approach, list
of publications, and
letter to prospective graduate students at
http://research.vancouver.wsu.edu/cheryl-schultz

For Fall 2014, we seek graduate students for two studies.

1)      We are involved in a multi-institution project investigating
source-sink dynamics using
butterflies as a model system.  Current work involves landscape-level modeling
based on field-
based observations of demography and behavior.  New graduate student projects
will focus on
landscape models (SEIBMS  = Spatially Explicit Individual Based Models) using
field-based data to
ask questions in the context of source-sink dynamics.

2)      Several projects in our lab focus on the potential non-target effects
of herbicides on
butterflies. Selective herbicides are increasingly a preferred management tool
because of their
ability to target problem invasive species with minimal impact on most native
plant species.
Studies in our lab to date suggest lethal and sub-lethal effects that may
impact sensitive non-
target species.  We are starting a new multi-site study to investigate
potential advantages and
consequences of grass-specific herbicides on butterflies as well as other
invertebrates and plants
in the prairie community.

Washington State University Vancouver is a new campus in the WSU system located
in Southwest
Washington just across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon and is close to
Willamette
Valley and South Puget Sound prairies.  Currently with ~3000 students, it is a
new and rapidly
growing campus in the WSU system.  Students benefit from outstanding faculty,
world-class
research, state-of-the-art facilities and small class sizes.

Interested students should look at the Letter to Prospective Graduate Students
and send a
CV/resume, transcripts and a letter describing past research experience and
future research
interests to Cheryl Schultz, schul...@vancouver.wsu.edu. Graduate applications
receive priority
consideration if received by January 10, 2014 for Fall 2014 admission. I
encourage all interested
students to get in touch to learn more about the program and research in our
lab.