I am posting this for a colleague, Alex Chow.  Please respond directly to
him at the address below.  The Baruch institute is a pretty magical place
and his studies are on the leading edge of combining ecology,
biogeochemistry, and toxicology/human health/environmental health.  I can
also vouch for Dr. Chow as a thoughtful, supportive mentor/advisor.

 Two PhD Research Assistantship (2014 Fall):

The Biogeochemistry and Environmental Quality Research Group (
http://people.clemson.edu/~ACHOW/) at Baruch Institute of Coastal Ecology &
Forest Sciences, Clemson University is seeking two highly motivated PhD
students to participate in projects to examine the impacts of forest fire
on source water quality.

The project will combine intensive field and laboratory studies to
understand the contribution of forest fires on polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbon (PAH) and dissolved black carbon (DBC), and the way in which
the interacting photochemical and biogeochemical processes occurring near
the water surface impact the disinfection byproduct (DBP) formation during
drinking water treatments.  In addition to field sampling and chemical
analyses, the PhD students will conduct watershed studies focusing on the
loads and yields of PAH, DBC, and DBP precursors from managed and unmanaged
forests in South Carolina’s Francis Marion National Forest.

We are particularly interested in applicants with experience in field
sampling and quantitative chemical analysis. The successful candidate will
work at the Baruch Institute of Coastal Ecology & Forest Sciences,
Georgetown, South Carolina (http://www.clemson.edu/public/rec/baruch/). It
is a research experimental station of Clemson University near Myrtle Beach
SC and includes a diverse team of hydrologists, wildlife biologists,
ecologists, and environmental engineers.

Applicants with degrees in any field of chemistry, environmental science,
or engineering are welcome to apply.  For further information regarding
this position please contact Dr. Alex Chow through email at
*ac...@clemson.edu* <ac...@clemson.edu>